Walmart finally starts selling lottery products here

The first Walmart opened here in this city about 20 years or so ago. There's now at least four Walmart's and one Walmart Neighborhood Market in this city. As long as I've known they've not ever sold lottery tickets. I went to one this morning and noticed a small printer thing above the register with something like "Washington Lottery Products Sold here" on it and also noticed some loose scratch tickets stacked and sitting on the register as well. On my way out I noticed two lottery vending machines though they are different than all of the other ones I've seen. In another post I shared a picture of the new large touch screen machines the state lottery distributed. Well these ones are also touch screen though like half the size in height.

I was very surprised to see that and also was interesting with the half-height sized machines.

I also discovered that "Washington's Lottery" has ceased the reward to retailers for selling any big winning tickets. There's an interesting article on this site about that from March of 2016.

Stat$talker's avatar - animated sphere.gif
In response to user34

Aye user34?...

Are those lottery tickets sold at a cheaper price than everyoneles is selling them?...

I mean ... that is Wal-Mart's usual MO..!!  LOL... they put everybody out of the business..!!

I'll check to see if they've started selling Lottery Products here as well...

mikeintexas's avatar - h87TsB4
In response to Stat$talker

I don't know if they're any cheaper, but I bet they're Made in China.

In response to mikeintexas

LOL... I've never played an International  Lottery before...Cool

mikeintexas's avatar - h87TsB4

I like Chinese scratch tickets, esp. the "Win Won Yuan!"  They're 15 cents U.S. but a Yaun is only worth 14¢.

They're a little tricky to scratch, though...you have to rub them from side-to-side instead of up and down. Wink

LMAO...!!  you are somethinelse...!! That's funny..!!

Now that was funny Mike.

Don't forget to be Gentle.  You can easily scratch a hole in the cheap paper making the ticket worthless.  Good call on the up and down, side to side always rips the paper.

Calif Neighborhood Walmart store in my town sells Ca Lottery Tickets.  I decided to get my plays there today.  It took a while because an employee dropped a Christmas Bulb that shattered on the floor.  It took 3 Employees to clean it up I guess, so the 2 People at the "Office" selling cigs and Lotto had to leave their posts to help out.  No one was hurt and 10 minutes latter, I bought my tickets.

I hope that I can retell the Story, with a winning ticket (Fantasy 5) as a kicker.

In response to AllenB

I got that Backwards,  Always Rub side to side.

I am still recovering from the last scratch.  I forgot to mention the toxic fumes.  doesn't matter which way you rub, so always scratch in a well ventilated area.

Since the only commission they can earn is 5%, no retailer bonuses now in the state, they must be drawing on the idea that selling lottery products increases foot traffic into the store and therefore people will buy other products also.

WA state lottery charges a $15 weekly "Administrative Fee" to retailers. That would require $300 a week in lottery sales just to fund the weekly Administrative Fee. So apparently lottery product sales are mostly bundled with other in-store purchases.

It's probably done on the local level, if not solely by the store manager with corporate's approval.

TopEnd of thread (1 page)

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Thu, Nov 26, 2020, 6:38 am

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?