No textNo textNo text

Record Jackpots

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball
dvdiva

Record Jackpots of the World by cash prize (in millions of US dollars):

Rank:  Cash:      Annuity:    Date:                  Winning ticket purchaced in:    # winning tickets:  Game:

1.        180        363          May 9, 2002        IL, MI                                        2                            The Big Game (Mega Millions)

2.        176.7      331          April 16, 2002      GA, IL, NJ                                  3                            The Big Game (Mega Millions)

3.        170.5      314.9        Dec. 25, 2002      WV                                            1                            Powerball

4.        168.5      294          July 2, 2004        MA                                            1                            Mega Millions

5.        166        294.9        Aug. 25, 2001      DE, KY, NH, MN                          4                              Powerball

6.        161.5    295.7        July 29, 1998      IN                                              1                              Powerball

7.        156.1    258            Sept. 16, 2005    NJ                                              1                            Mega Millions

8.        147.2    261.3        July 9, 2003        MO, PA                                      2                            Powerball

9.        141.5    239            Feb. 20, 2004      VA                                              1                            Mega Millions

10.      136        N/A            July 29, 2005     UK                                             1                            Euro Millions

11.      125.3    220.3        May 28, 2005      ID                                              1                            Powerball

12.      124.7    208            Apr. 22, 2005      MI                                              1                            Mega Millions

13.      120.3    221.5        Dec. 31, 2003      SC, PA                                        2                            Powerball

14.      116.9    214.7        Oct. 9, 2004        DE                                            1                              Powerball

15.      112.8    183            June 20, 2003      MA                                            1                              Megamillions

16.      110.2    213.2        May 8, 2004        PA                                            1                            Powerball

17.      104.3    194.4        May 20, 1998       WI                                            1                            Powerball

18.      104        197            April 6, 1999        MA                                            1                            The Big Game (Mega Millions)

19.      99.5      190            Oct. 25, 2003      IN, MN                                      2                            Powerball

20.      96.5      193            Feb. 16, 2003      CA                                            3                              CA Super Lotto

List looks the way it does because there is no cut/paste with firefox on this page without causing a security problem. Thankfully the CA lottery will be removed from the list once someone wins the current Powerball Jackpot. It's next to impossible to find out how much the cash prize was for that game due to CA's very poor website and the only winner there is any record of chose the annuity as a testiment to his intellegence. Every other winner on this page (aside from the CA winners) chose the cash option. 

The prize in the CA lotto is 45-55% so I just chose the 50% mark. There is no record of how much the actual prize amout in cash would have been. In all cases the cash prize listed is the amout the winner actually picked up and not a projection. You can just tell me any errors on the list. In some cases it's off by a decimal point because news reporters from AP or CNN differred from what the official lottery sites were saying and I chose the offical sites over such reports. 

Rip Snorter

Interesting list.  Considering how small they are it's surprising to see Maine and Delaware so well represented.  Nice seeing Missouri and Idaho getting a piece of the action, also.

Jack

ryanm

Rip, MA is Massachusetts, not Maine.  Maine (ME) is not on the list.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball
dvdiva

First drawing in Maine was 7/31/2004 so they didn't have a lot of time to get on that list. Maybe in the future with the current pot. Looks like the current pot is around the 9th biggest unless in rolls again on Saturday.

Rip Snorter

Got me chuckling at meself.... Thanks.  Ah well, guess I won't begrudge Mass a few winners, having already put out the energy of a speck of gladness for some rurals north of them.  Maybe Maine folks, some of them, buy tickets in Mass sometimes.

Gracias,

Jack

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball
dvdiva

The New Hampshire winner in the 5th biggest pot came from Maine but I only listed where the tickets were purchased not where the winner was actually from. Just like the 6th biggest pot went to a group in Ohio but it was bought in Indiana.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
weshar75

It has almost been three years since the last $300 million jackpot.  I wonder if saturday's pot will go up to the $300 million mark. 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball
dvdiva

I'll redo the list once someone wins the current Powerball. For instance the date for the biggest jackpot was 2000 not 2002. So I will recheck everything again. The cash amounts should be accurate but I'll have to recheck the dates and winning locations. In some cases even state lottery sites got it wrong. I saw a list with Maine as a winning Powerball location before they had it in 7/2004.

Just6ntlc

dvdiva, I think PB, MM, and Euro Millions will fight it out to see which one will have the largest jackpot in North American history. I think people are shying away from CA SLP when they entered MM.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball
dvdiva

Looks like those who doubted my prediction on the cap were wrong. The 164.4 is a hard cap irregardless of sales. Welcome to the MUSL morons. The pot will only grow at 12 million per roll from here until someone wins. Currently the pot is the 5th largest and if it rolls then it will be the 3rd largest.

ryanm

Instead of instituting the cap on a record Powerball jackpot, they should at least not institute the cap until the jackpot reaches the North American record of $363 million.

Prob988

This is interesting information DVDiva.  Thanks for it.  I'll bet everyone of those winners on the list was thrilled, with the possible exception of Jack, who destroyed his life.

I think no one recalls who any of these winners are, which is probably very good for the winners.

Rip Snorter

So, when the cap kicks in does the extra money just go down as windfall profit for Powerball and the states, or is it rolled into some kind of lower tier prize scheme?

Jack

Rip Snorter

This is interesting information DVDiva.  Thanks for it.  I'll bet everyone of those winners on the list was thrilled, with the possible exception of Jack, who destroyed his life.

I think no one recalls who any of these winners are, which is probably very good for the winners.

I'll bet even old Jack was thrilled.  Likely he's smart enough to realize if his life's been destroyed, which is arguable, that it wasn't the result of winning a jackpot.

Lots of what happened to him stood a middling chance of happening without winning a jackpot, and does to hoards of folks who didn't.

On the other hand, life tends to keep on being lived after a series of tragedies and even going broke, which puts a heavy burden on the concept of 'life being destroyed'.  Short of a flatline brain, zero pulse and starting to stink life is fairly hardy in the 'destroyed' department.

J

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
weshar75

So, when the cap kicks in does the extra money just go down as windfall profit for Powerball and the states, or is it rolled into some kind of lower tier prize scheme?

Jack

It goes it to a lower tier prize pool called match 5 bonus and the 5+0 winners split the prize pool when their is a 5+1 winner or winners.

TopEnd of thread (1 page)

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?