Do You Get A Reciept?

I was listening to the radio yesterday about the story on the mega Millions jackpot, and how the winner has  her reciept from the store showing her purchase of the ticket.

This got me to wondering, I'm 44 years old, and I can't ever remember getting a reciept for lottery tickets.

So I'm wondering do you get a reciept.

Just curious on how many do.

blue's avatar - bigears

never, might need to start getting one.

mrmst's avatar - disney14

Usually I don't get a receipt.  I usually buy my tickets at a liquor store.  On rare occasions I buy Powerball tickets on Sunday in PA and have to go to a grocery store.  There, they use a regular register for the money and hand out regular receipts.

johnph77's avatar - avatar

And, of course, any lawyer will argue in court that the proof is invalid - how can she prove that the receipt is for that particular lottery ticket?

four4me's avatar - gate1

And, of course, any lawyer will argue in court that the proof is invalid - how can she prove that the receipt is for that particular lottery ticket?

Well he better be able to prove that the receipts serial number was altered. When i get my powerball tickets i get a receipt and it has a serial number on it for each play slip i purchased.

The serial number is the same serial number that is on the lottery ticket.

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

I find it very hard to believe that a receipt would contain the same serial number as printed on the ticket. This may be the case because I do not know what state produces such receipts.

The reason I have my doubts is that the serial number is one of the methods used to validate the lottery ticket. So what happens if you lose the ticket itself? Can the receipt be used to claim the prize since the serial number is a directly related to the lottery ticket?

This method can cause all kinds of problems for both the player (holding and protecting both pieces of paper) and the lottery office trying to determine conflicting reports when the receipt and ticket are held by two different persons.

What state produces a receipt with a serial number?

Good luck,
Jake

hypersoniq's avatar - binary

you are best off buying them at a convenience store with a surveillance camera...

more than nine times out of ten i don't get a receipt for my powerball or megabucks tickets, but there is one grocery store where i occasionally buy tickets that has a different method. i order and pay for (quick-pick) lottery tickets in the grocery check-out line and pick up the actual tickets at the customer service counter on my way out. the grocery receipt says "lottery items" along with the price paid. if for some reason i wish to fill out a card with my own numbers, i must then purchase the tickets separately at the customer service counter. for some strange reason, i then do not get a receipt unless i specifically ask for one. at that store i only get the receipt automatically if the tickets are purchased with groceries :-)

the other shops where i get my tickets i've never been offered a receipt or asked for one...but they do all have surveillance cameras.

four4me's avatar - gate1

Jake649 I am sitting here holding the receipt and tickets I don't have a scanner but I assure you that I have seen and got a receipt from lottery machines in Maryland, DC, PA they don't print them out unless you ask for it. Except where I get my tickets in DC. I have traveled there a few times and every time I get tickets there they print a receipt from the machine that produced the tickets. And i don't think that an untrained lottery teller could get the receipt i think you need to enter a code like *69 report and it prints the receipt

the receipt has

NR  type      amount        serial #

01  POWER  10.00        34       347         i left out some numbers in the middle

ON MY PB ticket i have the same serial #
chunnybunny29's avatar - friends

you are best off buying them at a convenience store with a surveillance camera...

I would like to add a little something to this (if you don't mind) when Elecia Battle or who ever she calls her self,The po po's when in asked the store manger to see the video tape of when he sold the ticket to her.The store manger told the po po's that he had a surveillance camera but it didn't work..So I am listing too all of you and I like what I am getttting ,so what do we do?Ask the store manger if your camera is working ???(and many people take me as a smart but)But I just like asking questions I might ask them the wrong way?????

chunnybunny29's avatar - friends

typo th

hypersoniq's avatar - binary

you are better off signing them right away and keeping them in a safe place BEFORE the drawing... If you happen to win, then drive the ticket to lottery headquarters ASAP. Unless you have the time and extra $$$ to pre-form a trust, then sign the trust's name... Once it is signed, it is no longer a HOT ticket... THe sooner you turn it in, the less time there is for people to cook up schemes like that...

ladygirl99's avatar - candle

I usually get a receipt when i play, but next time i play i will always make sure i get a receipt for every ticket purchase i make. after the mess that went on in my home town, I knew she wasn't telling the truth all along.

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
Quote:Originally posted by four4me on January 08, 2004

the receipt has

NR  type      amount        serial #

01  POWER  10.00        34       347         i left out some numbers in the middle

ON MY PB ticket i have the same serial #

four4me,

Without seeing the ticket and receipt (or scanned copy) I cannot confirm that what you are seeing is the serial number. I think it may be the retailer number that is printed on the receipt. That would make sense since the receipt should identify the retailer that produced it.

I repeat my earlier claim. If a recipt contained the unique information that could identify it with the ticket, it may then be used by some as an instrument of claim. I assure you, the lottery office would not want to deal with the problems associated with that scenario.

Good luck,
Jake

I got a receipt last time I bought tickets at the customer service counter at Albertson's. It just said *lottery tickets*. So for claims it wouldn't be much help. It says on the back of my ticket in tiny print: *Unsigned tickets could be claimed by whoever posses the ticket*. 

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Wed, Jan 20, 2021, 12:43 am

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?