Time to change Mega Millions

Even with TX joining the game, MM did not crack $200 million. I suggest the following:

* Change the matrixes to 5/56 and 1/49 (longer jackpot odds, but better chance of winning smallest prizes);

* Start jackpot at $15 million;

* Lengthen annuity _option_ to 30 payments;

* keep lower tier prizes as they are; with the exception of raising the 4+0 prize to $250 (making each lower tier a different amount).

four4me's avatar - gate1

No lets not change it. Get more states involved. Since there thinking of trashing an international lottery if we were to split half the states with mega million and half with powerball. We would have bigger prize pools.

Or combine the two for one US lottery and call it 

MegaPower

In the near future, I see only Tennessee joining MM.

no NONO!!!

no changes to MM. It's fine how it is. I think they'll leave it how it is & suck up all the extra $$$ they get from TX. They'd be stupid to change it now. A lotto loses $ for awhile when it changes format. I heard on tv that TX has already bought over $300million MM tickets.

Ka- CHING!

bobby623's avatar - abstract

I'm in Texas. MM is a flop.  $300 million tickets is a laugh. Sure, lot of folks played. Thousands of Mexicans crossed the border for tickets, but overall sales were well below estimates. MM will probably kill regular Texas Lotto, which is dying on the vine.

JAP69's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Georgia used to be a PowerBall state, but in her infinite wisdom(which she has taken to Tennessee), Ms. Paul decided to drop it in favor of Mega Millions, which promised MEGA jackpots.

Looks to me like PB is always larger than MM....

BTW--she also said that dropping the Georgia Lottery ( pick 6 ) and replacing it with Lotto South would be better, but it has pitiful ticket sales and very low jackpots. It is so poor, it only grows by 1 mil per week unless it gets to double digits.....

Hopefully the new lottery director will spice up our games a little. 

A lottery will change when someone often win its jackpots.Or else they wont be stupid to change the way it is.its just more benefitical for them,not for lotto players.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 200.jpg
Quote:Originally posted by DoubleDown on January 02, 2004

....BTW--she also said that dropping the Georgia Lottery ( pick 6 ) and replacing it with Lotto South would be better, but it has pitiful ticket sales and very low jackpots. It is so poor, it only grows by 1 mil per week unless it gets to double digits.....

Georgia already has Lotto South; they wouldn't be replacing Pick 6 with it.

Todd:

DoubleDown meant that "Lotto Georgia" was replaced by Lotto South.

Oh, my bad.

fja's avatar - gnome1

300 Million in sales for texas has only gotten them 10 second tier prizes since they joined...I think they should leave megamillions alone for now!

No, it means they're not tr

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37

No I would have to disagree with that number.  300 million is a very high number for a state that only has had about what 8 drawings.  There is no way that they sold that many tickets.  300 Million tickets haven't been sold in the entire Mega Millions pool since they joined. 

Brad

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

300 in sales - where is that number from - we mean dollars not pesos.

http://www.lottoreport.com/mm03sales.htm check out that before making numbers up. it looks like they have had 26-27 million in sales. less than new york.

its too bad people like you are content with such a crappy game. if i want a lottery thats this big i expect the jackpot to be big. yes prizes have fallen sharply even for powerball but powerball broke 200 million twice last year. something that mega will never do in the current game format.

i do think one thing might happen - powerball may change its game and start actively recruiting mega states with success. thank goodness for competition.

Last1Page 2 of 2

Diva:

I believe TX has a clause that lets them out of MM after 6 months. PB would be better (MUSL "requires" members allow PB winners to choose cash or annuity AFTER winning, and MUSL has other games, including "Hot Lotto").

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

i don't think it's an issue of cash or annuity for most players. mega just has smaller prizes. anyway i think federal law states players have 60 days to change their minds on the cash/annuity thing.

Diva:

CA, NY, and TX, e.g., still require the choice to be made when you BUY the ticket, not after you win; the selection is binding.

Quote:Originally posted by dvdiva on January 04, 2004

300 in sales - where is that number from - we mean dollars not pesos.

http://www.lottoreport.com/mm03sales.htm check out that before making numbers up. it looks like they have had 26-27 million in sales. less than new york.

its too bad people like you are content with such a crappy game. if i want a lottery thats this big i expect the jackpot to be big. yes prizes have fallen sharply even for powerball but powerball broke 200 million twice last year. something that mega will never do in the current game format.

i do think one thing might happen - powerball may change its game and start actively recruiting mega states with success. thank goodness for competition.

I'm not making numbers up, I said the news reported it. I didn't say it was a written in stone fact. The news tends to exagerate anyway, so chill out. I added up the data from the link you provided & got the sum:  $23,910,107. & before someone else gets all rude with me, NO, I didn't add in January #s. I only added Decembers. & yes, that's dollars, not pesos.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

well 26 million doesn't equal 300 million. it does equal 300 million pesos (or there abouts) but not dollars. and thats the TOTAL sales for Texas. period. unless you have accounting experience with enron those numbers are very different

yea, well, like I said. I heard it on tv & I don't believe everything I hear on tv.

Glad we have people here like you who can find the facts.

The other thing MM could do is reduce the odds to about 1:115m, but reduce the lower-tier prizes.

The lottery is all about the jackpot. Since nobody has yet cracked mega million there is no way it is going to change. I only hope we get more winners in Massachusetts.

2End of thread (2 pages)

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Wed, Jan 20, 2021, 12:43 am

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?