PB & MM ticket cost breakdown

Poo Nanny's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg

Out of curiosity today I was trying to find the breakdown of the ticket cost goes and I didn't have much luck. Does anyone know what percentage of the $2 ticket goes towards the jackpot and what percentage goes to the state that sold the ticket?

Speler's avatar - me

Does anyone know what percentage of the $2 ticket goes towards the jackpot and what percentage goes to the state that sold the ticket? - No, I don't.

In response to Poo Nanny

What each state does with their share is up to them, but the official rules cover pretty much everything else about the financial aspect. The prize pool breakdown is on page 27 of the Powerball rules  and on page 13 of the MegaMillions rules

For both games 50% of tickets sales goes towards the prize pool and 50% goes to the state. The jackpot is fixed because the designated amount just gets split among however many winner there are. For the other prizes probability makes things work well in the long term, but individual drawings can vary. The 2nd place fortune cookie PB several years back is a great example of short term variation.

TopEnd of thread (1 page)

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Thu, Jan 20, 2022, 5:03 am

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?