paper stimulus check

Ronnbee's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg

dont know anybody that received paper check in mail--just direct deposit---know anyone that received paper check ?

I got a paper check, most likely because the Bank Account I did my 2018 tax Return in is closed now. :)

DEE88's avatar - animal doggy2.jpg
In response to Ronnbee

My sister just got her check in the mail .. and what's weird about it is she is on SS and she should have had it sooner than this..  and she has direct deposit so why she got a check and not put in her account I don't know why.. Even people that were deceased were getting checks in the mail.. they said there were 77,000 people deceased in the IRS system and they got checks..  something wrong with this picture..  sounds like to me IRS needs to clean out there files..

Unlucky-Kenny's avatar - Cigar B1.gif
In response to DEE88

77,000 x $1200 (not including anyone who would have gotten the $500 per kid) = $92,400,000

I wonder how much of those got direct deposited if the bank accounts never got closed out yet?

Crazy

In response to DEE88

Direct deposit was mostly for people that used it to get a refund for the 2018 and 2019 tax year. The paper checks were sent to the people that owed taxes for one or both of those tax years. Lots of people on SS pay nothing in taxes so they don't get a refund and apparently the IRS didn't get the banking account info from the Social Security Administration. The states administer SSI so those people will probably get a paper check too.

Just wondering because I never had to do it, but does an executor have to notify the IRS and file a tax return for someone deceased?

In response to Stack47

When  a person  dies you  are  suppose to  notify SS and they tell IRS and IRS should make the change and take them  out  of  the  system.  Also  if you die and got a SS check  that month  you have  to give it back.  The  man they interviewed  on the news  got a check  for his mother  and  it showed  her name and  also showed deceased on the  check.  He has to send  the  check  back  but there's  one problem he cashed the check.  Lol

brees2012's avatar - animal whale.jpg

Wow! Never sign a decease check. He will have to write a check to IRS and explaining to them,

why he did it . 

Read a discussion where some people believe the number of COVID-19 deaths include all death, but someone pointed out on average there are 7500 U.S. deaths every day. I'm not interested in mortality statistics and don't know if 77,000 unreported SS deaths in two years is high or not, but can't find any law requiring relatives to report deaths to SS and the IRS. If there is a will, executors usually report along with their other duties. 

And probably a very bad idea to cash a deceased family member's stimulus check.

In response to Stack47

I don't know if you would consider it a law or not, but from my experiences when a relative passes the Funeral Director is the one that contacts SS. they are the ones that deal with the decease's remains..  They have to issue a Death Certificate and they send it to SS and than SS should contact IRS about the person.. so it looks like IRS is not updating their system..  As for the lawyer they really only deal with the will if there is one and the estate..

The problem I have with SS is if you get your SS check in the month that you pass why do I have to send it back to SS..  I should be able to keep that check cause when you apply for SS they hold back one month anyway so to me they got there check in advance.. When I signed up in June for my SS check in August I didn't get my first SS check till October which I should have had it in August but they held back one month of my SS check..  And when you pass they only give you 255.00 dollars towards the funeral..  Really..  that has not increased for years which it should..

Ronnbee's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg

did you get your stimulus check ? or direct deposit

In response to DEE88

Can't find the date of the last time SS was fully funded, but now it's "pay as they go". With all the unemployment because of the virus, SS is probably paying much more out than they are taking in. Don't know if SS is now deducted from unemployment checks, but know it wasn't 20 years ago. 

About 61 million Americans are on SS and can't find the direct deposit to paper checks ratio, SS suggests direct deposit. I know what you're saying about "sending back the checks", but believe that applies the checks sent out after they died. If your birth date is after 20 and you turn 62 in August, you won't get a check until the fourth Wednesday in October making September a "waiting month".

Bet they're deducting over $1200 a year for Medicare too. Had Congress not "stolen borrowed from the SS fund and it was fully funded, Medicare could pay 100% of medical cost than the 80% they are paying.

In response to Ronnbee

Got a paper check even though my state tax refund was direct deposited. From what I've read, direct depositing the stimulus checks only applied to the people direct depositing their refund checks. Many people getting SS owe zero in Federal taxes, got no refund and they were sent a paper check.

Payment dates go from "low to high" incomes and I believe the payments tomorrow will be for incomes over $50,000 ($100,000 for joint filers) but under $75,000 ($150,000).

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver

That money is considered income so the IRS will tax you on it next year.

In response to Ronnbee

I have Direct Deposit and I don't understand why everyone doesn't have it..  It beats worrying about if your check will get to you in the mail..  I know the mail system is not the best source to rely on all the times.. With the Direct Deposit you don't have to be bothered with going to the bank it's already there..  Best way to go...Yes Nod

In response to LiveInGreenBay

The stimulus payments are tax free according the CARES Act. And because it won't appear on your 1040, there is no state tax either.

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Fri, Nov 27, 2020, 8:14 pm

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?