When is the Last Time a Jackpot was Hit by a Group ?

I was thinking about this before the PB jackpot was just hit ... I don't remember when the last MM or PB jackpot was hit by a group of people.

I may have missed that news but I think it's been well over a year ... maybe two years, not sure.

When you think how many tickets a group of people might have toward a large jackpot but the groups don't seem to be hitting jackpots lately ... just individuals.

Of course the other two unknown tickets from the PB may be from a group when finally announced.

Anybody remember a group of people hitting MM or PB in the last year or two?

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Good question!

I think it's been at least a year and a half since a pool won. Further proof that buying tons of quick picks doesn't guarantee a win. It only takes being in the right place at the right time.

Perhaps they don't work anymore.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
In response to Crazy Wombat

Many people join a lottery pool as an alternate to buying five or ten lines on their own which many single players do, that's probably why many groups odds of winning a prize aren't any better than many single players.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw

When is the Last Time a Jackpot was Hit by a Group ?

Off the top of my head I'd say it was that group from Iowa that makes breakfast cereals?  I could be wrong because I  have watched a few of those Lottery Changed My Life episodes that blur the timeline.

In response to RJOh

That's a good point ... I was thinking about that as I was typing my original post. Maybe a person only plays one MM or PB ticket for a smaller jackpot but for a $400 or $500 million jackpot they spend $20 or $50 on their own, which would be sort of like a lottery pool with the extra tickets.

Still, I think it's interesting ... with all the groups or lottery pools that must exist for every drawing, that none of them seem to be hitting a jackpot. They are probably winning smaller amounts or lower tier prizes.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg

Go to the MM and PB websites and click on Winners Galleries or something similar.

They provide the jackpot winners year by year, names, location, etc.....unless of course they were fortunate enough to be in an synonymous state, then you don't get as much information.

Here's one from Powerball's Winners Stories:

FlaMass Family Lottery Joint Venture
Florida
  April 23, 2014 Cash $148,800,000.00 annuity
$86,932,220.04 cash

The MM site has several $1M winners that were groups.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude

I'm surprised they don't win more often, but it goes to show that you don't need to buy a ton of tickets to win.

Look at the South Carolina winner from 2013. Spent $20 on PB tickets, only his second time playing, and won the $400 million jackpot.

The PB site also shows a group of 16 winning August of 2013.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg

The few that I can remember are; "The Albany Eight" from Albany NY... They won a MM jackpot maybe a year and a half ago.

Then there was a group of government employees from the City of Philadelphia (I *think* they worked for The City of Philly) that hit a PB jackpot.  I think that was last year.

Also in the state of NY, there was a group of restaurant workers from a town near Glens Falls NY that hit a MM million dollar second prize.  That might have happened two years ago.

It's my guess that there are more groups that have hit a second place million dollar prize than there are groups that have won a jackpot. Second place winners usually receive state-wide publicity, while jackpot winners get national publicity. 

It's funny what the press picks up and what they don't.  A crazy thing happened in Suffern NY a few years ago with NY's retired Sweet Million game.  Sweet Milly was NOT parimutual.  (Actually it was. IF there were 6 or more one million dollar winners it became parimutual.  If there were five or less million dollar winners, then each winner got one million dollars.)

Someone playing Sweet Milly played the same set of six numbers TWICE, at two different stores in Suffern. (The stores were one block apart)  Those six numbers hit, and the guy won TWO million dollars.  The media never picked up the story. To me, that's the kind of fluke thing that the entire media should have covered.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
In response to GiveFive

"Someone playing Sweet Milly played the same set of six numbers TWICE, at two different stores in Suffern. (The stores were one block apart)  Those six numbers hit, and the guy won TWO million dollars.  The media never picked up the story. To me, that's the kind of fluke thing that the entire media should have covered."

How did you learn about it if the media didn't cover it?

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
In response to RJOh

NY State Lottery website.

The website didn't ID the winner, rather they just listed the address of the two stores in Suffern where the tickets were sold.  I don't live too far from there and am familiar with the town, so I knew approximately where they were located.  Not too long after it happened, I happened to be in Suffern, so I drove past the stores.  They're maybe  couple hundred yards from each other.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
In response to GiveFive

Give five, i am originally from philly i know the group you are referring to. It's the SEPTA 48. They work the local and regional transportation of Southeastern PA. I forgot how much they won

TopEnd of thread (1 page)

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 12:14 pm

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?