Money and Happiness

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo

If YOU win the lottery, will the money buy you happiness?

I'll still have problems, but I can better deal with those problems If I had plenty of money.

On the other hand, If money doesn't buy me happiness, I'd rather be rich and miserable, than poor and miserable...lol

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg

Someone once posted that when you win a jackpot you trade one set of problems for another.

I don't think winning a jackpot would make a miserable person happy, they would just become a very wealthy miserable person.

Such a win could also make an already happy person not as happy when they started getting hounded by other people (consider the News thread about the couple in Scotland that went into hiding.)

But winning a jackpot would certainly enable you to have a lot of freedoms that you didn't have prior to the win.

shirbird's avatar - Catwoman

it might not buy happiness but it can buy a lot of fun and peace of mind for a while*****

All I want is the chance to prove money won't make me happy.  Wink

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg

Money makes me happy, but wealth does not necessarily make me happy.

Each month, hoping to find older bills or bills with strange serial numbers, I get a strap of 100 $1 bills out of the bank. Then, I run statistics on them. I also like getting old-style bills back in change (before they redesigned the currency back in 1996). 

Being wealthy does not matter that much to me, and I do not play the lottery for purposes of becoming wealthy. After all, I play only the Pick-3 and Pick-4, and I seldom put more than $1 on the same numbers, so I am not going to get rich playing the lottery.

rdgrnr's avatar - nw barkeep.jpg
In response to redhot7

I'm already happy.

All that dadgum money'll buy me a helluva lot more fun though - whiskey, wimmins and nothin' but good times 24/7/365 fer me and all my rowdy friends.

Leastways fer a couple years or so.

sully16's avatar - sharan

If I win, it just means I can stop working at my present job, the only real source of my unhappiness. Everything else in my life is just fine.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
In response to redhot7

if your happy or not that will not change,just be magnified.

for me magnified means, what to do now w/ a newly aqquired 44 hours per week.

thats what i daydream abt. on the 44.

In response to sully16

same here, my present job or any job.

altho if i get bored i may take temp.jobs if something i like to do,just to get out of the house.

can't say for sure cause i'd be in new territory.

the freedom to choose is the best part.IMHO.

In response to rdgrnr

already happy! that won't change, just be magnified,but then you already know that.

try to make it for more than a couple years or so.

some on here would like to hear more. HA-HA

Yes.

In response to redhot7

Nope. Can't buy what I already have. However, it will make things easier, move my kids closer to me, and therefore making me happier. But that wasn't an option on your poll. White Bounce

In response to Coin Toss

coin toss,i'm long past the point where i'm more than willing to "trade one set the problems for another"

maybe i'll do better w/ the new set.

In response to joker17

maybe you would become self employed ?

thats the only way i'd go back to so cal.

Last12Show page 10Page 11 of 12
In response to Boney526

You forgot one:

8. I'll be 80 when bonehead pulls his head out of his ass.

In response to joker17

You can keep that stuff between you and Nancy.

He's California at heart too, just like you. Hippy

In response to rdgrnr

It's better than living with all those toothless rednecks way up in them hills. We can actually watch videos on our computers.

unseen's avatar - 4eyes

You get offended way too easily.   I'm done here.  I rest my case on my so called 'opinion'  as I can see how easy it was to bait one into a defensive rebuttal; how dare me lump another into my own opinion only to see that person refer to others as toothless hillbillies and rednecks.  Should that be spelled out in refridgerator magnets for you to see?  That typographical slippage of the mind tells me all I need to know Archie.  You're way too invested in this conversation.   Stop the self abuse.  Enjoy your life....or whatever it is you do.   EOL x2   Pwned!!

In response to unseen

No, I'm not easily offended, just tell it as I see it. It's one thing to have an opinion, but your post is replete with words that read like supposed facts according to you. Words like..."They lack true substance, identity, and a stable frame of mind"..."Short comings"..."grand delusion"....

You have a right to your opinions, but don't get pissy when someone disagrees with you.

I refer Ridge as a toothless hillbilly because he has a history of starting the whole name calling a while back, so I'm just giving him a taste of his own medicine, which like you, can't take it. if you can't take the heat, you know the rest.

karinda's avatar - WINGS
In response to rdgrnr

'Tis a gift! Lovies

karinda's avatar - WINGS
In response to unseen

How do you know that Disneyland gets dull and boring when you go everyday?  Disney

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
In response to karinda

LMFAO.

Favorite post of the thread.

unseen's avatar - 4eyes
In response to karinda

Ha, lol!  Well I lived close to a huge amusement park and we went almost every weekend in the summer and after about a month I was done.   Same with Vegas.  The first few days I was estatic but by day 6 I was ready to go the hell home!  Confused

In response to Boney526

Money does not buy happiness, but it buys freedom. Self made or lottery, it doesn't matter. The best medical care, no more worrying about bills, you can travel the world many times over, own your dream home, pay for your kid's college education, retire early, take of sick family memebers. Those things make you happy. Life will never be perfect, but money makes life better.

Does money buy happiness? To answer this question, simply ask yourself the following questions.

1. Does it make me happy to worry about how to pay next month's mortgage, auto insurance, utility bills, car payment, or worse yet - last month's mortgage and last month's bills?

2. Does it make me happy to fight with my spouse over financial problems?

3. Does it make me happy that I am forced to take it in the ass by an abusive boss just to hang on to a job (when jobs are hard to come by nowdays - especially for a middle aged RN) where I am under paid and under appreciated?

4. Does it make me happy that I have no time to enjoy life (vacationing, hobbies, spending time with grandkids, writing that book I've always dreamed about) due to work obligations?

5. Does it make me happy to know that I will be forced to live under the federal poverty level after my "retirement" because I barely earn enough money now to meet my family's current needs?

6. Does it make me happy to know that I will have to work well into my 70's before I could even think about retiring?

7. Does it make me happy to know I have no monetary inheritance to pass on to my loved ones after I die (my life insurance will barely pay for my cremation, and I can't afford to buy more)?

8. Does it make me happy that I can't afford to make a business loan to my hard working daughter who is a single mother of 3, so she can open the day spa she has always dreamed about?

9. Does it make me happy that I can't afford a nice wedding for my daughters, or even a decent wedding?

10. Does it make me happy that I was unable to contribute toward my children's college education (pell grants alone don't quite make it and my children were forced to take student loans which they still owe)?

11. Does it make me happy that I can't co-sign an auto loan for one of my adult children because my own credit scores do not qualify?

12. Does it make me happy to know that my precious grandchildren are forced to attend inferior and barely affordable childcare so their parent's can work (2 yr waiting list for state funds), and there is not a <snip> thing I can do to help them?

BTW, in case any of you are wondering, I am no different than the average person; I have made some good decisions during my life; I have made some bad decisions during my life; we do not piss money away; in fact, we are frugal in many ways. With the economy the way it is today the hardships my husband and I have encountered are the reality of a middle-aged couple. I am a registered nurse and my husband draws SSDI.

I don't know about you, but I am fairly certain that a lottery jackpot would make me a very happy woman!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

In response to smart player

I hope you win, smart player. Thumbs Up

And I hope you don't mean literally what you said in #3.

Best of luck to you.

In response to smart player

Finally, someone who understands REALITY, and doesn't repeat the same old cliche B.S. with gooey words like a Myna bird.

Don't worry though, there will be plenty of more B.S. coming soon in the following pages. There's gonna be "Touchy Feely" comments put into nice little warm and cozy poems about what the real definition of happiness is like a hug from Grandma, walking in the park on a summer day, watching a sunset while a puppy runs in front of you.......Puke........ These people are delusional....

In response to rdgrnr

OMG!!!!                  Green laugh

In response to rdgrnr

I think "literally" taking it up the ass would feel a hell of a lot better than what I deal with at work.

Thanks for the well wishes. I do play, within reason, so there is actually a chance I could win.

I hope you win too, andI hope I make you smileSmile

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Sat, Jul 2, 2022, 12:22 pm

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?