Money and Happiness

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo

If YOU win the lottery, will the money buy you happiness?

I'll still have problems, but I can better deal with those problems If I had plenty of money.

On the other hand, If money doesn't buy me happiness, I'd rather be rich and miserable, than poor and miserable...lol

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg

Someone once posted that when you win a jackpot you trade one set of problems for another.

I don't think winning a jackpot would make a miserable person happy, they would just become a very wealthy miserable person.

Such a win could also make an already happy person not as happy when they started getting hounded by other people (consider the News thread about the couple in Scotland that went into hiding.)

But winning a jackpot would certainly enable you to have a lot of freedoms that you didn't have prior to the win.

shirbird's avatar - Catwoman

it might not buy happiness but it can buy a lot of fun and peace of mind for a while*****

All I want is the chance to prove money won't make me happy.  Wink

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg

Money makes me happy, but wealth does not necessarily make me happy.

Each month, hoping to find older bills or bills with strange serial numbers, I get a strap of 100 $1 bills out of the bank. Then, I run statistics on them. I also like getting old-style bills back in change (before they redesigned the currency back in 1996). 

Being wealthy does not matter that much to me, and I do not play the lottery for purposes of becoming wealthy. After all, I play only the Pick-3 and Pick-4, and I seldom put more than $1 on the same numbers, so I am not going to get rich playing the lottery.

rdgrnr's avatar - nw barkeep.jpg
In response to redhot7

I'm already happy.

All that dadgum money'll buy me a helluva lot more fun though - whiskey, wimmins and nothin' but good times 24/7/365 fer me and all my rowdy friends.

Leastways fer a couple years or so.

sully16's avatar - sharan

If I win, it just means I can stop working at my present job, the only real source of my unhappiness. Everything else in my life is just fine.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
In response to redhot7

if your happy or not that will not change,just be magnified.

for me magnified means, what to do now w/ a newly aqquired 44 hours per week.

thats what i daydream abt. on the 44.

In response to sully16

same here, my present job or any job.

altho if i get bored i may take temp.jobs if something i like to do,just to get out of the house.

can't say for sure cause i'd be in new territory.

the freedom to choose is the best part.IMHO.

In response to rdgrnr

already happy! that won't change, just be magnified,but then you already know that.

try to make it for more than a couple years or so.

some on here would like to hear more. HA-HA

Yes.

In response to redhot7

Nope. Can't buy what I already have. However, it will make things easier, move my kids closer to me, and therefore making me happier. But that wasn't an option on your poll. White Bounce

In response to Coin Toss

coin toss,i'm long past the point where i'm more than willing to "trade one set the problems for another"

maybe i'll do better w/ the new set.

In response to joker17

maybe you would become self employed ?

thats the only way i'd go back to so cal.

Last7Show page 5Page 6 of 12
In response to tiggs95

I been drunk in a lot more places than Billings Montana!

I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.

I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana,
Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana,
Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa,
Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa,
Hennessey, Tennessee, Chicopee, Spirit Lake,
Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake.

I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika,
Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica,
Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport,
Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport,
Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina,
Pasadena, Catalina, see-a what I mean-a.

I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado,
Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado,
Larimore, Admore, Haverstraw, Chatanika,
Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika,
Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City,
Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity.

I've been everywhere.

~Johnny Cash

karinda's avatar - WINGS
In response to tiggs95

Whatever works! LOL ... Wink

feri32's avatar - nw gnome.jpg

Sure it would. If the financial troubles are gone, I would buy some cows and would be out with them all day long.
Of course the knowledge that my family's future is set also would give me peace and happiness.

In response to feri32

You must really like cows a lot to want to spend the whole day with them.

Although I would rather be with a herd of cows than a herd of Homosapiens myself.

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images

Yes.  I hate the way I live....worrying about how I'm going to pay bills, put food on the table, counting change for a gallon of milk sometimes.  Those are my biggest problems.  If I actually have MONEY, I won't have those problems to worry about, only a new set of problems.

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
In response to Mr-Smith

I must say that I have to agree with you. I think you have to be genuinely  happy in order to be happy with money otherwise I think you will definitely make some bad decisions trying to find that missing happiness which, isn't missing at all it was never there to begin with..Thumbs Up

In response to feri32

Wow, someone who actually gets it. Bravo!

I don't know about the cow part, but whatever tickles your pickle...

In response to numbergirly

But what If everything in your life that makes you unhappy is directly involved with money, which is my case? A lot of money would make me GENUINELY happy...

Like some here said, money can buy freedom which can lead to happiness, that's the way I see it.

If I were to win tomorrow night's powerball $47 million, I'd retire at 35 and never have to worry about a boss, or bills again.  I wouldn't even need to go buy a massive house, a Corvette, and take a trip to Hawaii, those things alone I stated before alone would thrill me!

In response to joker17

I think money can make you happy in the same sense that a nice birthday or Christmas present can. But how long does something like that make you happy? I don't think money will make someone with a miserable disposition happy. I agree with those who've said that if you're not already happy, no amount of money in the world is gonna change that.

I think the happiness directly related to winning a JP would be transitory and fleeting. After that initial upheaval, it all comes back down to being happy with yourself, and a lot of people, quite honestly, aren't. I've known and know a few people with money who are miserable. And I know people with money who I know would be happy even if they didn't have it, simply because that's their nature.

Because you think and hope and even believe a lot of money will make you happy doesn't make it so.

In the final analysis, I don't think money can compare in any measure to the happiness derived from one's relationship with God, family and friends.

I don't believe money is even capable of bringing true and lasting happiness.

I think true happiness is inextricably linked to love. Both the love you give and the love you receive.

In response to rdgrnr

Ok, let me rephrase it. Money would make ME Genuinely happy for the rest of my life. The only thing that is NOT making ME happy is the lack of a lot of money. Maybe to others it may be fleeting and transitory, but I think I know myself better than anyone else on the planet, so I KNOW it wouldn't be a passing thing.

Some people here just don't get it and never will.  Sorry, but i can't make it any clearer than I already have.

All the peripheral attributes of happiness you mentioned may make some people feel comfy, cozy, warm and cuddly, but I need COLD HARD CASH, and TONS of it. Then after I have the wealth, I can think about all the corny stuff you mentioned.

In response to joker17

Alrighty then.

Sorry for throwing you into a rage.

You're obviously already a very happy little person.

And that must be nice when you're also the world's leading authority on absolutely everything.

Pfffffft!

In response to rdgrnr

I'm not in a rage and not the world's leading authority on everything, but I think I know myself better than anyone else. NO?

What?....what are going to tell me next, what my favorite color SHOULD be?

Excuse me If having a few houses spread around with the mortgage already paid in full makes me happy.

Excuse me If owning a few sports cars in all those houses makes me happy.

Excuse me If having a harem beside me most of the time makes me happy.

Excuse me If I can help my family and friends out so they never have to work like a slave for the man ever again.

Excuse me If sailing on my 10 million dollar Yacht makes me happy.

Excuse me If not having to work like a freaking lowlife, bottom feeder slave anymore.

Excuse me If i want a 3 million dollar recording studio where I can play my guitar with other members of a band and REALLY ENJOY it without worrying how loud I can play.

Excuse me for wanting the peace of mind that comes with never never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever having to worry about bills or where the next paycheck is going to come from, or retirement.

EXCUSE ME!!!!!!.....For wanting to be happy.....Holy Moly mega byte frantic atlantic.....

What part do you exactly don't get?

unseen's avatar - 4eyes

There's internal happiness and external happiness.   All of my friends who have been rich (friends who played in the NBA, NFL etc) are or have been externally happy.  Same with the very few friends I had in the entertainment industry.  But one thing I noticed is rarely were any of them internally happy and that's what people don't understand or can't grasp at all.   There's a reason why drug use is so prevailent in the entertainment industry.  Why suicidal thoughts is not uncommon among the rich, why the rich divorce just as much as the poor etc. 

With that in mind money would make me externally happy.  It would give me pleasure in being able to afford the things that would make me EXTERNALLY happy but I am not foolish enough to believe it would bring me a world of internal happiness for the rest of my life.  For one it would hinder my creative consciousness and vibrant spirit that comes from a lack of something external causing a flow of my imagination and a desire to create artistically.  People who don't have an artistic side don't understand that 'Flow'  and have a limited imagination and thus ONLY chase that which is external. 

Now with all that in mind whoever the rapper that said "Mo, Money Mo Problem"  well lets trade paychecks and see what kind of problems you have on a limited income and I'll see how I deal with your millions.  LOL!!

In response to joker17

You only think all those things will make you happy, you don't know it because you've never had any of it. So you're just guessing and hoping.

You've never had money and you're miserable so you assume that having money will change all that. Nope, doesn't work that way, sonny boy.

And I don't understand why you take this arrogant, condescending tone anytime and everytime someone questions you about anything. It shows how basically unhappy you are at your very core. Money won't change that, you'll still be the same miserable little plick (that's Chinese) you are now.

You're 50 some years old without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out but yet somehow you present yourself as some kind of financial wizard or a sage of some sort when you should be humbling yourself before your sister for putting a roof over your head and feeding your fat ass. You're a parasite.

Rock Star, Recording Studio, Pipe Dreams.

You'd be nothing more than the next Jack Whittaker story if you ever came into money.

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Sat, Jul 2, 2022, 12:22 pm

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?