I think I lost a friend of 15 years.

I haven't been here in months because I have been cutting back on the lottery.  I've been only playing the Mega Millions when it goes over $100 million(like now).

Money really make people two-faced. This is why I'm worried what will happen if I actually won a huge jackpot prize.

On November 30, I was helping my friend, a single mother of one kid, go grocery shopping.  After we were done, I told her that I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbers.  She picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!  I paid off my electric, gas and rent bill for that month.  I also gave her $20 for picking the numbers.   2 days later, I took her and her daughter to a nice, upscale restaurant on my tab and I thought everything was dandy...WRONG.   We decided that I would buy some premium whiskey(Jack Daniels Single Barrel) and we would drink it at her house and watch a movie.  After a few drinks, she started to get irritated about something and I asked her what was wrong.  She told me that I should have given her at least $100 for picking the numbers.  At that point, I thought to myself about all of the unfortuanate jackpot winners like Jack Whittaker and the Floridian Jackpot winner was shot and killed shortly after a jackpot win.

To make the story short, we argued about it for 30 minutes even though I know I didn't do anything wrong.  I've known her for 15 years; she was so nice and sweet.  After I won that money, which is all gone already, she had a devil in her and she drastically changed.  It seemed like she was some machine and couldn't help being two-faced. 

Winning that $750 didn't make me two-faced at all. All I did was pay my bills, treated her and her daughter out to dinner and gave her some money for giving me the numbers. 

It's hard to trust human beings.  The human brain is so dang complex..especially when it senses money.....it's amazing....Thumbs Down

sparkles919's avatar - Miss Sparkles_logo_-_large_-_25-02-05.gif

I'm sorry. Whenever someone gives me a number like this I always buy them the same one for 50 cents just cause I know something like this would happen

In response to SmoothJuice

Twitch file this under extreme gray haired & green faced moment ...... and write her off

such is life

You did nothing wrong , i alway give people number,s and they catches if they want to give something they could if not what the <snip>, i could of buy the number to. that girl is not you friend what about if you did won 7millionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. im sure you would have fix her up. I have a friend where i dont win like that and she usually have her lil hits she always look out for me, thanks geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  You should be glad she showed you her bad side before you win your millionssssssssssssss, remember me.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

olplugger's avatar - moon2

An old adage, "Burned and learned".  There are plenty of numbers to play here on LP where like-minded lottery folks gather.

I once gave a 'friend' the number 800.  It hit on the night draw and he played the day draw. . . was not a pleasant experience!

Since then I don't do that kind of thing.  So I can honestly feel your pain.  A true friend is someone who would give their life

for you.

sully16's avatar - sharan
In response to olplugger

well said olplugger.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket

I'm sorry, I agree with the lady.  You should have given her some money.  Maybe not the 100.00  that she wanted but something.  Instead, you made sure YOUR NEEDS were taken care of with no thought to her.  Maybe she wanted to do something for her child.  I always make sure that if a person gives me a number, I buy them a ticket also or if I hit, I give them some money.  You can never know what they are really going through.  Taking her and her child to dinner was just further "rubbing" salt in the wound.  You could have given her the money that you paid for the meal.  Maybe she is better off without you being her friend because you showed her just how much you care for YOURSELF and to H#LL with everybody else.

temptustoo's avatar - cat anm.gif
In response to Littleoldlady

She gave her 20 dollars and I totally disagree with you ...    She didnt have to give her anything .   Very sweet of her to take them to dinner and give her 20 dollars..   People are just GREEDY !!!!

Redbonec4's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
In response to Littleoldlady

Littleoldlady... I totally agree with you... Although she did not owe her friend anything... A true friend would have atleast given her $100.. What the He double hockey sticks can you do with $20... Nothing... As her friend she probably had shared with you her struggles and when you won the money she felt like you would help her out... So you showed your true colors... YOu won $750 and Gave her $20.... $50 would have been better than $20... If that was all you was going to give her... then you should have kept the win to yourself and not said anything to her... I agree with littleoldlady your fried thought you was rubbing salt in her wounds.

This is an interesting situation. I'd have to know more information.

If the only tickets I bought were the 2 tickets, one for a dollar and one for 50 cents with both having the same number my friend recommended, then I'd feel obligated to give my friend at least 200 bucks, maybe 250 bucks. However, If I buy 10 bucks worth of tickets everyday, and one of them happened to be her suggestion, then I would probably give about 50 bucks.

I feel this way primarily because If my friend is willing to partially pay for the cost of my tickets everyday, then he/she would get the correct proportion of the win dependant on how much the friend chipped in. If they're not willing to share the cost of playing, they should only get a consolation prize....lol

A similar situation happened to me when I first moved to Florida over 11 years ago. About  a month or so after moving here, I decided to play all the telephone area codes in the immediate and surrounding towns. In total, there were about 5 or 6 combos. I went to the Publix shopping center to buy my tix at the customer service. The nice lady looked at the tickets which were being printed, and immediately caught the common thread of the numbers. She advised me that I had overlooked one area code (949 at that time), so I thanked her for the heads up and played it with the rest of my picks. Sure enough, the area code she reminded me of showed straight winning me 500 bucks.

The next day I returned to the store and and found her at the customer service desk and told her what happened. I tried giving her a 50 dollar bill, but she said they weren't allowed to accept any gratuities. I pled for her to take it but she refused. So I crumpled the 50 dollar bill up in a small ball and non chalantly flicked it her way, sliding it accross the counter, and told her I understand about the policy and walked away. You should've seen the look on her face...ah ahha hah ah....

Normally, in an ideal world, the lady should get half of the 500 dollar win considering I would've never won, had it not been for her advice. There is no doubt that it's a hard call to make. Greed and the conscience battle each other until one of them gives in. And in the end, even If the greed wins, in actuality the conscience is the real winner. It may convince you to sleep better at night, or it may haunt you.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg

What's done is done. You can't change it even if you gave her half of what was won now. Obviously, you wrote to get it off your chest or get

confirmation that you are not in the wrong.

IMO, you are guilty of being selfish and she is probably thinking the same thing about you: devil-like, a changed person, untrustworthy and

not the nice and sweet person she knew for the last 15 years.

Your friend's portion of the winnings: $20, Dinner, 1/2 bottle of Jack

Your portion of the winnings: $730, less dinner for 2 and whiskey for 2

Money didn't change either of you...it was a lack of proper judgement that got in the way. Look at it this way - you asked her for a number, it came

up...doesn't matter if you paid for it, that was your decision...would you have played 719 if she hadn't told you to? Maybe, maybe not. The point is

the number came out, won $750 and she feels she was entitled to more than the $20 cut you decided to give her. Dinner and whiskey are

incidental considering the whole scope of things. You paid your utilities and rent, she can go buy some milk and bread and a couple gallons of

gas.

There is nothing you can do now, the only thing left for you to do is determine whether or not you want to talk it over with her (talk is cheap, also

useless if you can't see eye to eye and believe me, you never will because you think you did enough, she doesn't) Trying to make it right even

if you had the money to do it by giving her half, probably wouldn't work out either - you'll always remember what she did when you thought

your generosity was enough, she'll always remember you initially thought $20 was good enough.

This is a very sticky situation. If the number did not come up, everything would be the same. It did and you were presented with the opportunity

to do the right thing. The area where you are in error is, you did the right thing for you. Did this cross your mind or lips?: Well, it was MY money!

Technically - your money but her number. You entered into an unspoken arrangement which was made even more solid by your friendship of 15

years. You involved her in the process when you asked her for a number. Why didn't you keep her in it when the number hit by giving her half of

the money? Don't make the mistake so many do by saying money got in the way....the lack of basic principles and poor judgement got in the way.

IMO, you took control of the winnings and now have to suffer the consequences. Move on but don't place the blame fully on her. Be big about

it, you got nearly all of the money, now at least take 1/2 of the blame.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg

SmoothJuice,

It's human nature. When I worked in Vegas some of us would play video games on our breaks (the old stand up arcade games). This one particular night, no matter what game I played I was getting scores with 18,19, 64, and 65 all night long. (18,000, 190,000, etc...)

Well, our crew (crew of four) got the early out that night so we went to the Horseshoe and I played a Keno ticket, 18,19,64, 65. It hit solid and I won $400. I gave the other three guys $20 each and said I'd see them at work the next night

I get to work that next night and I'm all kinds of no good @#$% !@@ because they blew about $100 each trying to win back the $20 that I gave them that they lost.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Go figure.

You are absolutely right about people and money. Gambling should always be a solo endeavor, always.

Redbonec4's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
In response to joker17

Well said Joker.... I don't think her friend was jealous.. but disappointed...

sully16's avatar - sharan
In response to joker17

a honest clerk, good story, when I tip a clerk they grab it so fast your head spins.

Chalk that experience up to a lesson lived and learned!

I've seen money as being the cause of many friendships (some real, some fake) to go down the dream.

If you're friendship was genuine, you two will work it out.  If it wasn't, then both of you will get over it in time and move on.

Last6Show page 4Page 5 of 6
Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo

I don't necessarily think you did anything wrong, but I probably would have given them $100 or so, if they wanted more I would tell them that they should have played the number.  If they don't play lottery, they have to realize that you spend money (on lottery-the odds are stacked against you) as well, and if it didn't win, you wouldn't expect her to pay you back any of the $1.50.

The thing is, it's all subjective to different viewpoints.  I actually probably would have bought her a ticket w/ the same number, if the thought crossed my mind, but to be honest, it probably wouldn't have because I do occasionally ask them for a number if I can't think of one.  If it won, they'd probably *expect* a little something- but it'd be my decision how much/what because I was the one who paid for the wager.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
In response to Boney526

Sounds like you have a similar mind set of the clerk who redeemed a $150 winning lottery ticket for me.  Even though I had spent a lot more than $150 in the last three months at that store, she thought I could afford to give her a tip which I did when I told her "you can't win if you don't play".

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
In response to RJOh

RJOh, Good for you to tell the clerk the way you did!

I would have looked at her as if she had three heads or something. And then I would have asked her where does she get off asking for anything from anyone at anytime for any part of that persons proceeds from them playing the lottery! Then the next day I would have gone in to the store and told the manager what happen with that person and what I had said to that person about their forwardness!

Here is the thing you did incorrect let me quote you “I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbersShe picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!”

The PROBLEM is Smoothjuice once you asked her to pick the numbers you have now asked her to “Participate” which means -to take or have a part or share, as with others; partake; share : to participate in profits; to participate in a play.

Since it was your money and her numbers (she was your  friend)you should have split the money she is as you say a single mother.

You spent the money the way you wanted did you ever consider she would have liked to spend the money on paying some of her bills as well and not have had the dinner, the whisky & 20 bucks.

Take Care what goes around comes around Karma can be a B

CARBOB's avatar - ga lottery.png.gif
In response to CJR100

Finally, someone understands the issue!! When you asked her to pick the numbers, you were playing for both of you. You knew she didn't have the money to buy a ticket!!!

sweetie7398's avatar - flower2
In response to CARBOB

Precisely.

saber's avatar - the eye.png

I still think it was nice what you did. I guess she felt if you are here friend and know what she need that she should of done more.   But there is a saying "money will broke up friendship".

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Angry 20emjoi%20with%20dreads.jpg

You should have given her half. "Filedone"

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Angry 20emjoi%20with%20dreads.jpg
In response to CJR100

^5 CJR100

I have a friend, we both lost loved ones , and their birthday's are 727.

So, one day, I told him, I'm going to play the number for you and me.

It hit last year on Thanksgiving,  I had 4 tickets, str/box, for midday and evening,  2 for him, 2 for me.

Yes, it was my $4.00. 

I had the tickets laying under my laptop, someone called me and said, "your 727 came in, did you get it"?  I said, yes, 2 times, 1 for me, and 1 for my friend.

So , I won $800.00.  because, I played the number twice, but, I gave him a ticket and I had a ticket.

He tried to give me half when he cashed it,, but, I said, "NO",  that's your ticket, I played it for you, I have my ticket.

"Do the Right Thing"

Good Luck. 

TheGameGrl's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg

neither a borrower or lender be. That solves the whole dynamics.

My coworkers did enjoy the follies of comments...so thanks for those opinions, they validated some folks are still in the learning stages of life.

FRIEND SHIP AND GIFTS- NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Lesson be learned.

time*treat's avatar - radar

Pretty much what RJOh said, plus ....

A: (Hopefully) you've learned how many more people have this same sense of entitlement -- the "unspoken arrangement" that you eat the losses and we share the wins. Thumbs Down

B: You only THINK you had an argument at 30 mins long. This lesson cost you only the price of a couple of dinners -- i.e. be glad you didn't ask her for an opinion on a jackpot game's numbers ... and had won. The price of your learning could have been much higher and gone on for months.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket

Majority(not all) of the Women on this thread thought I was greedy, even though I was kind to her. (The ones who thought I wasn't greedy--those are the type of lady-friends I want)

Majority(not all) of the Men thought I was kind and generous to her.  Majority of the men took account that I helped her go grocery shopping, paid for the ticket, took her to an upscale restaurant(Her tab was $25+10 for her daughter), bought her some expensive Jack Daniels Single Barrel whiskey ($55),plus I gave her $20 cash

NOT GREEDY...CONTROLLING AND SELFISH  ARE THE WORDS!!

You should give her something at last what she said 100 $. Is not of her being selfish is something that we call respect. she helped you and you need to show gratitude for it.

Well here is my story, i was recently in grossery shop where i am paying my lotto ticket every time. The guy infront of me was buying scratch tickets and i said to him take yellow bing and luck wil be on your side. He did take it and leave. 

I was traveling for a week and when i came back the clark in the shop gave me an envalop. I find inside 500 $ and thank you note from the guy. First i did not even remember who the person was till shop owner told me that guy won on yellow bingo ticket 25.000 $.

But then for the end, money change people.

My question is how much would you give her if you would hit jackpot ?

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
In response to jcyvr

So let say, the ladyfriend were like a business consultant; she gave SmoothJuice the numbers, a suggested business decision. And SmoothJuice assumed all 100% of the risk by waging $1.50; I condider this as an investment because playing lottery is like a business you have to treat it like one. If SmoothJuice did not win, an opportunity of $750 of would be lost, so did the original investment. The ladyfriend would get nothing no fee. But that would be odd in business. What if SmoothJuice had to pay for that consulting fee, how much would be enough given the uncertainty nature of winning lottery? To avoid aligation, they must agree the terms in advance. I think 2% to 5% would be enough. SmoothJuice's ladyfriend received more than you did in terms of percentage, JCYVR. Your $500 was 2% of the $25000, while SmoothJuice's giving added up 15% of the winning ($20, meals, whisky). She got a bonus there.

Unforunately, both did not have a verbal or written contract. The sharing of SmoothJuice's winning was determined on subjective principles. SmoothJuice thought it was justified to give a "friendship building package" treatment, while the ladyfriend preferred hard cold cash of $100 because she really needed it. Both were right on his/her own perspective, but not having a contract, even a verbal one, was wrong . It turned the relationship into a sour mess.

If I were a judge, I would say that Smoothjuice's action was justified because the value of the gift was above $100.

-------------------------

Lesson learned

-------------------------

If you are not willing to share up to half the your lottery winning, don't get your friends or even families involving in such ambiguous business. Shut them out from the beginning because money has power; it can turn anglic friends into money-motivated demons.

Hi Dingo,

i get your point, but point in the story was not how much i got. I told to stranger that i met in shop to pick up a ticket, there was no cotract or neither we are or we were friends before and neither he did not ask me which ticket to pick.

going into his story is a friend and when friend helps you out or make you happy, rich whatever someone wanna call it should the respect for it.

Now looking into my story he was strange and he did find and efort to go back and say thank you, i am not saying he did not gave me enough or anything the point is he was a stranger and i was a stranger to him and he show a respect.

Considering he ask for numbers is far to give something more then a 20 $ bill.

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Sat, May 21, 2022, 12:09 pm

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?