No textNo textNo text

just need to know about silver pennys

xthundercat2003's avatar - 161784 100002045964044_7086045_n.jpg
xthundercat2003

goodmorning

can some one tell me something about a silver  penny cause i have 3 and to know the value of them,

johnph77's avatar - avatar
johnph77

They weren't silver; they were mostly lead; copper was a limited commodity then due to World War II. Minted in 1943 only. Google numismatists for approximate value.

chippie's avatar - Lottery-064.jpg
chippie
In response to xthundercat2003

Im sure you can do a search on line and look for similar pennies and see what they are valued at

Do a google search hun

Good Luck!

xthundercat2003

hi yes i found out that the steel not silver  are not valued but the only penny that value is the copper penny that i have ,but thanks for your help

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
Blackie

Here is what a search shows:

Q. How Much is a 1943 Penny Worth?

From Susan Headley,
Your Guide to Coins.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
When people find a silver colored 1943 penny, they are often surprised, thinking they have found a great rarity, since all U.S. pennies are copper. Aren't they?
A. The 1943 silver colored penny is a wartime issue made of steel, and coated with zinc. During World War II, copper was so badly needed for the war effort (to make shell casings) that the U.S. penny was made out of steel that year, which is why most 1943 pennies are silver colored. They are worth about 12 to 15 cents each in ciruclated condition, and as much as 50 cents or more if Uncirculated.

There are a few error coins known from 1943, where the penny was accidently struck in copper. These are extremely rare, but if you think you might have a 1943 copper penny, here's how to find out if your 1943 copper penny is genuine.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
BobP

I remember they used to copper plate the steel pennies and sell a
magic trick with a strong stick magnet that made it look like you were
balancing one penny on the edge of another while concealing the
magnet with your fingers under the bottom penny . 

O
O
|

BobP

xthundercat2003

goodmorning blackie the fist penny i told you about were steel but i have cooper pennys that are from 1956,1945,1944 plus i have this silver dame from 1965 plus i have this silver cions and they feel havey so what do toy think tell me ,and thnk you

Stack47

I believe that 1964 was the last year they minted silver coins for circulation.

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
st.germain

A couple of weeks ago, I had read that a 1943 silver penny went for 82,000 dollars at a auction. Ther was something about it that was a rarity that made it sooooo expensive.

Drum

Party

st.germain
In response to st.germain

Correction...please!   After browsing the web I found the story......it was a copper 1943 penny that went for 82,000 dollars. Silver/zinc type pennies only go for about a dime ( ten cents). sorry.

xthundercat2003

goodmorning st.germain

the copper pennys i have are 1939-1918-1940-1919-1935 what can you tell me about this penny i even have ,big silver coins and they feel havy .

st.germain

Morning xthundercat,  I can't say, not having seen them. Are they dated with a S..D..P or blank under the year  ..... that would be where they were minted. Denver...sacramento or philadelphia. As far as I know the only one in recent history that is worth a lot is the "copper" penny of 1943 having slipped through when they changed the plates that are used when making pennies. I would just save them for the future. The mint is talking about eliminating the penny altogether which would then start making them to be a collectors item. I have thousands of old wheat pennies. I think I'll go back and see if any one of them is a "copper" 1943 penny.

st.germain

Save the old silver coins....they are worth something. Check the business section of your paper to see how much silver is worth. The date on these coins are what makes these coins valuable and the history of them. I say to save all and any of these coins as they will only appreciate in value.

TopEnd of thread (1 page)

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?