No textNo textNo text

Tithes

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
s5thomps

As for myself I would give at least 10 to 15 percent in tithes and offerings and then seek legal counsel on how to invest the rest after helping out friends and family. (If you look at U.S. currency it states IN GOD WE TRUST, not IN MONEY WE TRUST) That being said I believe that he created this world and gave us the power to obtain wealth, So he is owed at least 10%.  Also we all know that you can not take it with you, so why not use it to make a difference in some ones life? Ok I am done preaching, I was just curious what other LP members thought. Big Grin Angel

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
savagegoose

ill throw all the money in the air, whatever god catches he can keep.

pacattack05

I voted no because I'm not religous, but I do believe in helping others less fortunate.

I would secretly give to those I deem truly in need. I can't change the world with a lottery win, but If I could help someone 2 or 3 times a month, I could enjoy the food I put in my mouth with a clear conscience.

four4me's avatar - gate1
four4me

If you look at U.S. currency it states IN GOD WE TRUST, not IN MONEY WE TRUST

IN GOD WE TRUST ------ all others pay cash

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
OldSchoolPa

I would give 10%...yes God does give us the power to get wealth and He also can bless us with long life to enjoy that wealth.  Get greedy and try to horde that 10% to yourself...I would hate to be that person.  BTW it doesn't require a person being religious to believe in giving...of course, I doubt an atheist would give any bit of 10% to any church but there are wealthy atheist who do give to some type of charitable cause.  Thankfully for them, God gave us all the freedom to choose the path we want to take here on earth...I just hate to think how it will turn out for them on the other side however.

Another point that might be a bone of contention for people is that many pastors preach against playing the lottery.  There is no where in the Bible that says playing the lottery is a sin or is wrong.  That is merely their opinion, and I don't let the opinions of other people rule my life.  Of course, that same minister would be very happy indeed to see the church coffers filled with that 10% tithe derived from lottery winnings.  If there are any lay people secretly perusing this site, feel free to respond to this poll.

MaddMike51

No,to tithing.Yes to helping less fortunate folks....but I get to choose who I help.It won't be an organized charity.

pacattack05
In response to OldSchoolPa

I just hate to think how it will turn out for them on the other side however.

You mean an all Loving God would punish someone who was charitable but didn't subscribe to a particular belief system? Hmmm....

We've got a tough crowd up there. Scared

Goatmilk's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
Goatmilk
In response to OldSchoolPa

Another point that might be a bone of contention for people is that many pastors preach against playing the lottery

They preach against it and then they come to my store and purchase their lottery tickets but try to be discreet.  They say gambling is the work of the devil yet they wouldn't mind collecting money from a lottery win?  Hypocrites!

Raven62's avatar - binary
Raven62
In response to pacattack05

No good deed goes unpunished! LOL!

catsrule's avatar - cat anm.gif
catsrule

I would give 20% to my church. As for me playing lottery isn't bad because in my state the money goes to help the elderly. So if i loose i know my money is helping them out.

pacattack05
In response to Raven62

Does this mean when I see Thor, he'll smite me with his hammer?

Or if I see Mohamad, will lock me up in a basement full of insurance salesmen, and 72 virginians?

I think I'll need a lawyer over there. Is there a double jeopardy law there?

Blue Angel   Red Devil

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Coin Toss

Oy vey, here we go, tithitng...ok, I'll ask - based on gross or net?

This is a common discussion among church goers - I'd love to see those who insist tithing should be based on gross hit a lottey jackpot and see if they still felt that way!!!

FYI

Even among those who claim to tithe, the average is nothing near 10%, statistically it's 2 to 3 %.  

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT
MillionsWanted

No, because I'm not religious. Some percentage will be given to charities.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
Uff Da!

Hmmmm, in biblical times most "charity" was done through the church.  Now the government and various charities not affiliated with churches do most of that.  So in my thinking, the church no longer "needs" 10%.

It would depend upon the size of the jackpot, of course, but most likely I'd give far more than 10% to charities, but far less than 10% directly to a church.

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
Jack Pot

YES!Smile

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?