Anonymous winner in Indiana!

Whoa!  This blew my mind!  Here is a press release from the Hoosier Lottery:

A representative for the Boulon Revocable Trust claimed the $6.5 million Hoosier Lotto jackpot from the March 4 drawing.  The winner elected to take the cash option worth $3.2 million.  The prize was claimed March 10.  The jackpot winning ticket was purchased at Speedway #6140 at 5221 S. Emerson in Indianapolis.

This is the first time I have ever seen an anonymous winner in Indiana.  This person not only has their head on straight but they must have a great lawyer!

Jim

Wow! For a moment I thought my cover was blown.

I won thirty bucks that weekend in the PowerBall drawing, but decided to keep it to myself. I realize now that this press release wasn't about me (I don't play any Hoosier Lottery games). Maybe I should have gone the trust route, too, but I just took the cash ...

Hey!  Anyone heard from Winning Jeff lately?

Hmmm?

Actually, I think this is an interesting development in the on-going saga of the Hoosier Lottery.  My previous research indicates that the Hoosier Lottery is required by law to publish the name and county of residence of the person who won. 

But I must say that I think this is a good thing that Hoosier Lottery winners (Man!  There's an oxymoron for you!) can claim prizes as a trust and thus have a degree of anonymity. 

Jim 

The Hoosier Lottery is required by law to do many things, but the laws which govern them, whether state or federal, are viewed as mere suggestions. Reference the 06DEC05 post by Korean Redneck, in which the Hoosier Lottery tells him in an email that it's perfectly okay for his friend to send him PowerBall tickets through the mail from another state.

According to Title 18 of the Federal Code, this is still illegal. The message seems to be, "Once we have your money, we don't care if you go to jail, so it's okay with us if you break the law, because it doesn't apply to us; that's only for other state lotteries."

When I read that press release, my in ital reaction was to suspect that the winner was an immediate family member of  some Hoosier Lottery official or employee. Indiana law states that an employee's immediate family can play the games, provided they don't live under the same roof. Also, this is the first time in the history of the Hoosier Lottery that a jackpot winner was allowed his anonymity. 

This is one of the few laws specific to the Hoosier Lottery that they follow to the letter.

Agreed Jim.  The Hoosier Lottery is shameless in thier exploitation of winners.  Given all the corruption at the Hoosier Lottery I have to wonder what's going on here.  However, I say again that being able to claim your prize anonymously is a right every lottery winner should have.  And it will be interesting to see if this starts a trend in Indiana of anonymous winners.

Jim 

rundown99's avatar - cigar

A representative for the Boulon Revocable Trust claimed the $6.5 million Hoosier Lotto jackpot from the March 4 drawing.  The winner elected to take the cash option worth $3.2 million.  The prize was claimed March 10.  The jackpot winning ticket was purchased at Speedway #6140 at 5221 S. Emerson in Indianapolis.

This is the first time I have ever seen an anonymous winner in Indiana.  This person not only has their head on straight but they must have a great lawyer!

Jim

Where is your source from?  I looked at the Hoosier Lottery website, and it doesn't say anything about this.

Rundown99:

On the Hoosier Lottery website,  put your mouse over "Lottery Information" on the toolbar. A menu will drop down. Click on "Press Releases," and then select the month you want to check (March, '06).

Jim

four4me's avatar - gate1
duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64

Jim

It was not anonymous, as the winner was named: Boulon Revocable Trust. Many people create trusts or corporations when they win and designate them as the "winner", which is completely legal. The actual "person winner" has majority control over the corporation or trust.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg

Wow! For a moment I thought my cover was blown.

I won thirty bucks that weekend in the PowerBall drawing, but decided to keep it to myself. I realize now that this press release wasn't about me (I don't play any Hoosier Lottery games). Maybe I should have gone the trust route, too, but I just took the cash ...

You should have took $60 over 30 years.

@duckman:

This is the first time I've ever seen a Lotto prize claimed as a trust in Indiana.  Indiana state law specifically says the name and county of residence of the "winner" must be published.  By "winner" it has always been my understanding that they meant an actual person and not an entity such as a trust or LLC.

Don't get me wrong...I think this is a good thing.  I absolutely support winners having the right to privacy.

Jim  

TopEnd of thread (1 page)

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Fri, Oct 22, 2021, 5:22 pm

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?