mega millions or powerball

which do you prefer mega millions or powerball and what is the reason behind your choice?

LosingJeff's avatar - flower

Like em both

fja's avatar - gnome1

I gotta play where I stay!

I choose MM

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg

I play both but would prefer Powerball. I'm in a Mega Millions state and the Powerball odds are a "mere" 140,000,000 :1 as oppossed to Mega Million's 176,000,000:1.

A lot of peole don't realize these games are actually two lotteries in one, upper grid and lower grid. A lot of people also never repeat one of their five numbers in the upper as the lower number. Often when a huge jackpot is hit one of the same numbers from the five repeats as the Powerball or Mega number. 

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg

The powerball website list the odds of hitting the correct powerball number as 1:68.96

How can the odds be that high with only 42 numbers to pick from?        Ponder

calabs's avatar - bass fret.jpg

I don't play either.  I wish I can say I play them, but with the odds so high, I don't believe there is ANY system that can help you choose these numbers correctly.  That being said, at 176M:1, I choose to put my money into the cash 5 which is a mere 658,000:1, and I haven't hit THAT yet.

If I wanted to play a higher odds game, I would go with the Pick 6.  A few million is good enough for me!!!!  LOL

The powerball website list the odds of hitting the correct powerball number as 1:68.96

I'm not a math wizz, but you would think that the odds would be something like..............1:42??

I'm not a math wizz, but you would think that the odds would be something like..............1:42??

The 1:69 odds are for matching NO white balls, but matching the Powerball. Two different conditions (white balls and red ball) must be met.

I gotta play where I stay!

I choose MM

Yep, that's why I choose Powerball!!

The 1:69 odds are for matching NO white balls, but matching the Powerball. Two different conditions (white balls and red ball) must be met.

Pardon my ignorance Cash Only, but I still don't get the math, or perhaps I don't fully understand how Powerball is played.  If you have 42 powerballs, and they reside in a separate tumbler (my assuption), aren't the odds 1:42?  How do the white balls have anything to do with how often the powerball occurs?  This is confusing to me.  Again, a math whiz I'm not!  What?

clunker's avatar - 15 1_148.gif

megamillions and super lotto plus !!

I've only played the Powerplay three or four times, and that is the only realy difference to me.  The ratio between cash and annuity, or the odds mean nothing to me - the other hundred million people don't matter when I win, or when I loose; they are just numbers.  I am going to win or not win.  Mega gives me a higher dollar value when I win.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

I prefer powerball.  Though I don't play it regularly cause I have to drive 4 and 1/2 hours to the nearest border to buy tickets.  We have megamillions here in my state.

Powerball has produced more jackpot winners in recent years than megamillions.

2003 - 16 winners

2004 - 13 winners

2005 - 14 winners

Megamillions:

2004 - 11 winners

2005 - 9 winners

hypersoniq's avatar - binary

I prefer Powerball because I can walk down 3 blocks and play it at the local retailer...

that reminds me... be back later ;-)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk

Some think too many winners lower the jackpot amounts and prefer MegaMillions for that reason.  I like them both.  I play MegaMillions more because it's a local lottery but I'll make the two hours trip to Indiana when the PowerBall jackpot is $200M+.

Welcome Guest

Your last visit: Mon, Oct 18, 2021, 7:01 pm

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?