No textNo textNo text

I need help!!

alNafa

i put all of my numbers and tool etc.. in 2 Word2002 documents, setup a password for them and saved them on my laptop. but 2 days ago, i decided to move the documents to my Thumb Drive so that i can work on them during my free time at work. But, when i try opening the 2 documents, i get error messages after i enter the password; for one document it says: invalid path (in short) for the other one it doesn't even recognize the password. i tried a Hex Editor, but i don't even know where to start with it.

Microsoft says that if that happens, you're on your own, and just trash you doc. anyone has idea of what i should do? Serious replies only please

Also, i decided to post this question after i saw that some of us here were getting help about using Excel.

powerplayer's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg
powerplayer

The best advise I can give you is one make sure your useing the same ver. of word at work.

The 2nd best adise I can give you is try moving them back to your laptop. That might help. The string it's looking for might be on the laptop.

The only other thing i can say is do some searches on google. There is always someone out there that has had the same problem or something simular to the problem to help guide you.

Power Player

MCSE 2000

A+

Net +

Server +

Windows 2000 server & pro

MrBobb

Experts Exchange - The #1 IT Professional Collaboration Network on the Web - http://www.experts-exchange.com/

alNafa

thank you guys for replying. i moved them back to my laptop. still get the same error messages.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
truecritic

Make sure you enter the password in upper case or lower case exactly as when you entered them originally.

You might want to try a program like this, to make sure of your exact password?

http://www.password-studio.com/unlock/article_microsoft_word_password_recovery.aspx?afl=10231

Too late this time, but always make extra backups. File corruption is always a possible.

There are options to using a password, such as allowing read-only. Maybe that would help you next time - or maybe it isn't of any value because you want to prevent anyone from reading the files.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q306474

hypersoniq's avatar - binary
hypersoniq

1. > Open a protected document in Word.
2. > Choose the Save As Web Page (*.htm; *.html) option and close Word.
3. > Open the HTML document in any text editor.
4. > Search the <w:UnprotectPassword> tag for a line that looks like: <w:UnprotectPassword>ABCDEF01</w:UnprotectPassword>. Gather the password.
5. > Open the original .doc document with any hex editor.
6. > Search for hex values of the password (reverse order).
7. > Overwrite all four double-bytes with 0x00. Save, and close.
8. > Open the document in Word. Select Tools, Unprotect Document. Password is blank.

powerplayer, nice collection of certs!

I have...
MCSE (win2000)
MCDBA (MS SQL 6)
MCSD (Visual Basic 6)
MCSA (win2000, earned "along the way" to MCSE)
A+
iNet+
and
IBM DB2 User (back when the test was free, V2 I believe)

TopEnd of thread (1 page)

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?