No textNo textNo text

Am I wrong?

whitmansm2's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
whitmansm2

I haven't been playing Powerball long.  (maybe 3 weeks) and I was wondering if you play right after a major jackpot, are your chances of winning better?

My way of thinking is that if it's 340mil for example....you have about 146 mil chance to win.  So the odds are 1 in 146mil.  I thought if there was a jackpot that was smaller, you'd have a smaller percentage trying to win.  Say, 1 in 26k.  Am I wrong in thinking this way?

I'd be happy with 15mil!  lol

Shawnintennesse's avatar - British Pint_414_.jpg
Shawnintennesse

I haven't been playing Powerball long.  (maybe 3 weeks) and I was wondering if you play right after a major jackpot, are your chances of winning better?

My way of thinking is that if it's 340mil for example....you have about 146 mil chance to win.  So the odds are 1 in 146mil.  I thought if there was a jackpot that was smaller, you'd have a smaller percentage trying to win.  Say, 1 in 26k.  Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Your odds are the same no matter what the jackpot is..

Odds dont change unless they change the game. And the odds were actually a little better 2 months ago..

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg
tntea

Your odds are the same.. However, I predict it will be hit soon...

Reason being.. After it climbed up there and the lines of buying tickets got longer, people started playing more tickets and for more draws.. So the combinations given out for the biggy is still out there for tomorrow night...

I had more people buy two - five draws so that in the event the number wasn't hit.. they would not have to go back through the lines again for a few draws.. I even recommended it so it wouldn't mess up my ballgame this Saturday...lol

Anyway your question..  same odds.. but for it to build up again.. take a few draws.. I predict it to be hit again within the next two draws... giving the combinations that were sold trying to get the big one..

whitmansm2

So it's not a matter of how many people are playing??

If less people are playing then th----oh.  wait.  I get it.  It's because of the numbers right?  There are so many numbers that can be picked and no matter how many are playing, it's the same number of combinations, right?

I guess I was thinking of other types of contests.  "Many will enter, few will win" types.

Thanks!

Shawnintennesse's avatar - British Pint_414_.jpg
Shawnintennesse

So it's not a matter of how many people are playing??

If less people are playing then th----oh.  wait.  I get it.  It's because of the numbers right?  There are so many numbers that can be picked and no matter how many are playing, it's the same number of combinations, right?

I guess I was thinking of other types of contests.  "Many will enter, few will win" types.

Thanks!

Yeah...

It's the same number of combonations no matter what. So buying more wont change that.

The number of combonations with Powerball are endless. Odds are alot better with a pick 3 1,000 combonation game.  Or a Pick 4 10,000 combonation game.

Lottery isnt a contest...LOL

whitmansm2

LOL  oops....I knew that.

Yep

True story.

lol

pacattack05

The odds don't change. One thing that has the potential to change is whether you keep the Jackpot all to yourself, or share it with 3 other people.

One hint is to play less calendar numbers. This will reduce the odds of sharing with others.

So... yes, it is better to play after a major jackpot, only if you want the best odds of keeping it all to yourself, even if it's less money. But not because the odds dropped.

TopEnd of thread (1 page)

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?