Lottery Post presents a summary of the rules for the new Pennsylvania Match 6 Lotto game.
The Pennsylvania Secretary of Revenue, under the authority contained in section 303 of the State Lottery Law (72 P. S. § 3761-303), added Chapter 872, relating to the new Match 6 Lotto game.
- Match 6 Lotto is designed to give players the opportunity to win up to four prizes in each game.
- For a $2 purchase, the player gets a ticket containing three sets of six numbers, the numbers in each of these sets ranging from 1 to 49. Players can win one, two or three prizes by matching, in each of their sets of numbers, three or more of the six winning numbers randomly drawn twice a week. Correctly matching three or more of the six winning numbers selected by the Lottery entitles the ticket holder to a prize identified in the Prize Winners section below.
- The combination of the player's 18 numbers generated by the single $2 purchase (arranged in the three sets of six numbers each), offers the player an additional opportunity to win. Matching any four or more numbers from among all of their three sets of numbers to any of the winning numbers selected by the Lottery entitles the ticket holder to a prize identified in the Prize Winners section below.
Match 6 Lotto game tickets may be purchased for $2 per game. Each game shall consist of three individual plays, one of which, at the player's option, may be numbers selected by the player; the remaining two number plays are quick pick selections. These three individual plays combined constitute a game. Additional games may be purchased at the discretion of the player. A ticket may contain one to five games.
- Time of drawing. A Match 6 Lotto drawing will be held twice a week or as determined and publicly announced by the Secretary.
- Place of drawing. A Match 6 Lotto drawing will be conducted in the Harrisburg area unless the Secretary directs that a drawing or part of the drawing procedure be conducted at some other location.
- Manner of conducting drawings. The Lottery will draw at random, six numbers from 1 through 49, with the aid of mechanical devices or any other selection methodology as authorized by the Secretary. The six numbers selected will be used in determining base play winners and combined game winners for each individual drawing. The validity of a drawing will be determined solely by the Lottery.
There are two ways to match numbers and win prizes for each game played:
- Base Play - Match the numbers drawn to each set of six numbers in a gamme played. (There are three games played on each ticket: one that you have the option of selecting the six number for, and two that are always Quick Picks.)
- Combined Game - The combination of the 18 numbers (three plays) on a player's ticket.
The Base Play prizes are determined as follows:
|Tickets Containing The Following,||Prize Category||Prize||Percent (%) of Sales Anticipated|
|In One Single Play||To Be Paid In Prizes/Category|
|All Six Winning Numbers||1st||Jackpot||12.83% Actual|
|Five Winning Numbers||2nd*||$1,000||2.76%|
|Four Wining Numbers||3rd*||$20||2.92%|
|Three Winning Numbers||4th*||$2||5.30%|
|*Indicates fixed prize amount|
The Combined Game prizes are determined as follows:
|Tickets Containing the Following,||Prize*||Percent (%) of Sales Anticipated|
|In One Single Game||To Be Paid In Prizes/Category|
|10 or More Winning Numbers||$2,500||0.21%|
|9 Winning Numbers||$1,000||1.11%|
|8 Winning Numbers||$50||0.58%|
|7 Winning Numbers||$25||2.12%|
|6 Winning Numbers||$10||4.66%|
|5 Winning Numbers||$5||9.49%|
|4 Winning Numbers||$2||11.02%|
|*All prizes are fixed amounts|
Notes on prizes and payments:
- Prize money allocated to the base play first prize category (jackpot) will be paid on a pari-mutuel basis, divided equally by the number of plays on tickets determined by the Lottery to be entitled to claim a first prize. The Lottery will estimate and announce the projected amount of the upcoming jackpot (first place prize pool) prior to the drawing. Payment will be made only in the amount actually in the first place (jackpot) prize pool.
- If, in a Match 6 Lotto drawing, there are no winning base play first place prize plays (jackpots), prize money allocated to that prize category will be added to the amount allocated for the first prize category money in the next Match 6 Lotto drawing.
- If more than one winning base play first place prize play is determined, each is entitled to a prorated payment share of the total first prize category.
- All Match 6 Lotto prize payments, including a jackpot prize, will be made as a one time lump-sum cash payment.
- A winning Match 6 Lotto game ticket is entitled only to the highest prize won by those numbers on each play plus the highest prize won by those numbers on the Combined Game.
- The number of prize categories, the allocation of prize money among the prize categories and the minimum Base Play first place prize category (jackpot) amount may be changed at the discretion of the Secretary and the change will be announced by public notice. The changes will only apply prospectively to Match 6 Lotto drawings as of the date specified in the public notice.
- Retailer incentive and marketing promotion programs, including the use of unfunded free tickets, may be implemented at the discretion of the Secretary. Funds for the programs, if needed, will be drawn from the Lottery fund.
Probability of Winning
Odds of winning per Base Play game:
|Number of Winning Numbers||Prize||Probability* of Winnings Per Game|
|Selected By Player||Category|
|All 6 Winning Numbers||Jackpot||1:4,661,272.3|
|5 Winning Numbers||$1,000||1:18,067.3|
|4 Winning Numbers||$20||1:344.5|
|3 Winning Numbers||$2||1:19.2|
|*Odds that one or more plays in a 3-play game will win a prize at the given level.|
|Since more than one play can win a prize, levels are not mutually exclusive.|
Odds of winning per Combined Game:
|Number of Winning Numbers||Prize*||Probability of Winnings Per Game|
|Selected By Player|
|10 or More Winning Numbers||$2,500||1:597,302.6|
|9 Winning Numbers||$1,000||1:45,267.4|
|8 Winning Numbers||$50||1:4,440.4|
|7 Winning Numbers||$25||1:590.9 |
|6 Winning Numbers||$10||1:106.7 |
|5 Winning Numbers||$5||1:26.4|
|4 Winning Numbers||$2||1:9.1|
|*All Combined Game prizes are fixed amounts|
- A ticket is a bearer document deemed to be owned by the person holding the ticket, except that if a name is contained on the back of the ticket, the person so named will, for all purposes, be considered the owner of the ticket.
- The Commonwealth will not be responsible for lost or stolen tickets.
- The purchaser of the ticket has the sole responsibility for checking the accuracy and condition of the data printed on the ticket.
- The Commonwealth will not be responsible for tickets redeemed in error by a retailer.
If the total of the set prizes won in a particular Match 6 Lotto drawing exceed sales for that drawing by 100% or more, then those set prize tiers, in which the stated prizes won exceed the percentage of sales anticipated to be paid in prizes/category, will become pari-mutuel. Moneys will be drawn from the Lottery Fund, to the extent necessary, to fund the payment of prizes.
If the Match 6 Lotto is terminated for any cause, prize moneys remaining undistributed will be paid out of the State Lottery Fund and used for purposes otherwise provided for by law.
Unclaimed Prize Money
Prize money on a winning Match 6 Lotto play may be retained by the Secretary for payment to the person entitled to it. If within 1 year of the drawing date on the ticket, no claim is made on a winning play, as determined by the Secretary, the right to claim prize money terminates, and the prize money will be paid into the State Lottery Fund and used for purposes otherwise provided for by statute.