Here's some interesting facts about tonight's estimated $210 million Powerball jackpot drawing.
New Year's Eve Draw Information
- $210 million jackpot would rank as the 5th largest Powerball jackpot ever.
- It would also rank as the 7th largest lottery jackpot ever.
- This is the largest current lottery jackpot in the world.
- The estimated cash option is $113.9 million.
- The New Year's Eve draw will be the 16th draw of this jackpot run. The run started with the Saturday, November 8 drawing.
- There have been no jackpot winners, but almost 8 million players have won more than $68.7 million in cash prizes since this run started.
- This is the 2nd time this year that the jackpot has crossed over the $200 million mark.
Based on sales for this draw, we expect that statistically 45.8% of the possible number combinations will be purchased.
- The Powerball draw takes place in West Des Moines, IA at 9:59 P.M. Central time.
Sales & State Benefit Information
- Sales for this jackpot run (through 12/27) total $320,610,132.
- This jackpot run has generated a total of more than $96 million for worthwhile state projects.
- We expect to sell more than 73 million Powerball tickets for Wednesday's draw.
- Powerball tickets are currently selling at a rate of 16,700 per minute.
- The large jackpot is pushing sales higher in all states. For example, the South Carolina Education Lottery reports sales of more than $1 million a day since the jackpot reached $100 million. That's up from $600,000 a day.
- In Iowa, Dr. Ed Stanek of the Iowa Lottery says, "In 2002 Iowa had $57.5 million in Powerball sales. It looks like 2003 will end at $63.2 million -- a full 10% higher -- just when our state budget has the greatest need.
- The lotteries sold $2,032,714,787 in Powerball tickets in 2003 (thru 12/27). That translates into more than $609 million for worthwhile state projects.
- Lottery proceeds fund a variety of state projects. For more information on lottery proceeds, check the NASPL website at http://www.naspl.org/benefits.html.
Powerball Odds & Game Information
- The odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 120 million.
- The odds of winning any prize are 1 in 36.
- You need to pick 5 of 53 white balls and 1 of 42 Powerballs.
- Annuities are paid out in 30 payments over 29 years.
- Before taxes, that would be $7 million dollars a payment.
- Powerball is played in 24 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. (26 total lotteries)
- Powerball sales began in April 1992.
- Since then, the jackpot has been hit 150 times by 176 winners (tickets) and has paid out jackpot prizes (both annuity and lump sum cash) totaling $5,052,136,484.
- The biggest Powerball jackpot ever was won on Christmas Day 2002. The $314.9 million jackpot is the largest jackpot ever won by a single ticket.